Marriage & Divorce: Law
- Pharisees: “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any reason at all?”
- Divorce in Judaism (Deuteronomy 24:1–4)
- Rabbi Hillel and Rabbi Shammai
- Pharisees goal
Marriage & Divorce: Jesus/God
Jesus: “Have you not read…?”
- God established marriage (Genesis 2:20-24)
- God hates divorce (Malachi 2:13-16)
- Pharisees: “Why then did Moses command to give her a certificate of divorce and send her away?”
- Moses permitted divorce (Deuteronomy 24:1–4)
Why marriage is important
Jesus: “And I say to you”
- Holy union (Genesis 2:18, 2:22)
- Blessed union (Genesis 1:27-28, Proverbs 18:22)
- Lifetime union (Matthew 19:6, Mark 10:9)
- Unique Physical & Spiritual Union (Genesis 2:24, Ephesians 5:22-33)
- Marriage isn’t for everyone. Divorce is the final option, not the first option.
- Welcomed by God/Jesus (Mathew 18:2)
- Important to God/Jesus (Mathew 18:6)
- Example of faith (Matthew 18:3-4)
- Salvation (Deuteronomy 1:39, Isaiah 7:16)
Eternal Life – Faith or Good Works?
Matthew 19:16-30, Mark 10:17-31; Luke 18:18-30
Rich young synagogue ruler (the unsaved)
- What can I do?
- Which commandments?
- What am I still lacking?
- What do I treasure?
Reflection: Are you willing to give your treasure up for Jesus?
- “Good Teacher”
- God alone is good
The Kingdom of God
- Rich people
- Can Christians be rich?
- Jesus – the Only Way
- Original Disciples
- Disciples Today
- First or Last