The Transfiguration (v1-13)
- Six days (Matthew, Mark 9:2) or eight days (Luke 9:28)?
- Transfigured – metamorphoō – external transformation – Jesus’ glory was radiating from within!
- Moses (represents the law) & Elijah (represents the prophets) – Jesus greater than both the law and the prophets! (v8)
- Moses & Elijah spoke about Jesus’ impending exodus (Luke 9:31) – Death isn’t the end, it’s release from this physical life to spiritual freedom.
- Peter was ready to serve in his own way but God the Father reaffirms both the identity of Christ as well as His supremacy! – Jesus is the only One worth listening to!
- When we receive Christ, God begins to “transfigure” our minds (Rom. 12:1–2) and changes/transfigures us “from glory to glory” (2 Cor. 3:18), through the working of the Holy Spirit!
- Tell no one until the resurrection – Trust God’s plan and His timing!
- What about Elijah coming first (Malachi 4:5-6)? John came in the spirit and power of Elijah. Elijah could also be one of two witnesses in Revelations 11.
Little Faith (v14-21)
- Descending from the mountain to the multitudes eager to meet with Him (Mark 9:15) – Jesus is always ready to serve others. Are we?
- Demon possessed boy (Mark 9:16-29, Luke 9:37-43. Only child under bondage from childhood. – Don’t give up on God. Trust Jesus, have hope in Him.
- Enemy won’t let go easily (Mark 9:26) but Christ has already won (Mark 9:25).
- Why the harsh response (v17)? Jesus had performed miracles but that wasn’t enough for the crowd. Jesus had given authority to His disciples but that wasn’t enough.
- Disciples couldn’t cast out the demon and heal the boy because they didn’t have enough faith.
- Without the Holy Spirit, faith is impossible (John 6:44, Ephesians 2:8).
- Without faith, it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6)!
- Without faith, it is impossible to exercise spiritual authority (Acts 19:13-16)!
- God honours little faith but it must be living faith that is cultivated to grow by studying of the Word, prayer and fasting.
Temple Tax (v14-21)
- Jesus is exempt as He is the Son of the King, the Son of God but He doesn’t have the money (half-shekel = US $5) so He exercises His authority over nature!
- Only recorded by Matthew
- Only miracle performed to meet His own needs
- Only miracle using money
- Only one fish
- Performed for Peter
- Only miracle without results recorded
Truths to take home.
- Listen to Jesus.
- Trust Jesus.
- Wait on Jesus.
- Abide in Jesus.
- Serve like Jesus.
- Be like Jesus.